Sunday, October 5, 2008

Are you properly dressed?

For the past couple of Saturdays, I have been getting up early to go on a distance run. In early, I mean like while it is still dark early. Oh, and let me mention here, that I am not a morning person so it is hard for me to get up. But, I get up and prepare myself for this run. Since it is still dark outside, I put on light colored clothes, get my reflective gear, my blinky light, etc. And since it is a distance run, I have my water bottles, my gel and ipod. I make sure I have the right socks and shoes. Maybe eat a piece of toast and drink a glass of sweet tea. Once out there running, you have to be careful of your footing and be extra careful not to trip and fall on what you can not see. Anyway, I do what is necessary and what I can to prepare myself for a good safe run. Well, this got me thinking. What do I do to prepare myself for any normal day. No, I don't mean physically. I mean spiritually. Every morning, do I get up early and spend time with God, talking to him and in his word to prepare myself for the day? Do I put as much effort into suiting up with the armor of God each day as I do into suiting up for these early morning runs? I am afraid to admit it, but more often than not I fail miserably. I can manage to get up and get ready for a run, but find it hard a lot of mornings to get up and get ready for the day by spending time with God. Ephesians 6:10-20 tells us that we must put on the armor of God so we can take a stand against the devil's schemes. So that when the day of evil comes we will be able to stand our ground. We are to put on the belt of truth and the breastplate of righteousness. We are also to take the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Otherwise, how will we be prepare for what the world and Satan has for us that day. How else will we be able to resist the temptations and stumbling block that will get in the way and try to make us trip and fall. Just like running in the dark, Satan has placed stumbling blocks in our want and he wants us to trip and fall; he wants us to fail. But, if we dress ourselves in the armor of God, we can be prepared for whatever comes our way. Yes, I am talking to myself in this blog. I have been convicted that I need to spend more time each morning putting on the armor of God. I hope anyone reading this blog can make sense of my analogy. I hope you will be convicted as well to dress yourselves every day with God's armor.

2 comments:

Diane said...

it makes perfect sense. thanks for that encouragement!
love ya!

Curt Hanna said...

I get it.