Sunday, November 16, 2008

Saturday

This past Saturday I was to run in another race, the Volunteer In Medical Missions. The skies were not very promising for a dry race when we first got up. But, the rains stopped and the sun came out for the race. Turned out to be good running conditions. The course took was in Hunters Creek, which has hills. Anyway, I was not really racing, I was just running to get a good run in. Well, I ended up finishing 1st in my age group, but more importantly I met the very cute, sweet young girl names Carissa. I had followed her most of the race, but ended up passing her in the last half mile or so. When we finished we got to talking. She was from Columbia and this was her first and she was here by herself. Anyway, we talked some more about running and races in the area, why we started running, running shoes, etc. Then I introduced her to some friends of ours, the Newby's that run and we just kind of took her in for the time she was here. When the time came for them to announce the winners, overall and age groups, she won 2nd place in her age group (she was 21). She really was excited at that point and I think hooked on running/racing. Cheryl Newby took her picture and got her email address and all that stuff so we can send her the picture. Carissa explained that her had picked this race as her first one because she had gone on a mission trip to Peru and thought this one was for a good cause and wanted to help. After all the awards were given and we were saying good bye's, Cherly offered to make Carissa' picture in front to the VIMM sign to have. I was surprised when Carissa asked me to be in the picture with her. I was honored. If you ever start running and doing these races, you will find some that runners are very special people. You get to know each other from race to race and keep up with how each other is doing. I really enjoy my running and hope to be able to keep running for a while.

No comments: